School Dinner Recipes - Bring back some memories
200g Plain white flour
100g Hard vegetable fat
100mls Whole milk
100g mature cheddar
½ onion diced (optional)
1. Pre-heat an oven to 190*C.
2. Place the flour, margarine, lard, cheddar cheese and 2g of salt in to a food processor, and mix until they resemble fine bread crumbs. Then add a little of the water at a time until the mixture starts to come together and form a dough. Wrap the pastry in cling-film and place in the refrigerator to rest.
5. Beat the eggs and milk until the egg is mixed well.
6. Remove the pastry from the refrigerator and roll out on a floured surface until large enough to line a flan ring or the oven proof dish you are using.
7. Place the cheese (and onion) in to the bottom of the lined flan ring, and. Pour over the egg mixture until it reaches 0.5cm from the top of the flan ring.
8. Place in the oven for approximately 30-45 minutes, until the egg mixture is set and is golden brown.
425g Self Raising Flour
425g Margarine (melted)
2 Eggs (beaten)
0.5tsp Vanilla Essence Drops
1.In a large capacity bowl, mix the flour, sugar and cocoa.
2.Add the melted margarine and vanilla essence to the dry ingredients and beat in the eggs.
3.Press the mixture, evenly into lightly greased tins.
4.Brush the tops with water and sprinkle with some additional sugar.
5.Oven bake at 150°C/300°F/Gas 2 for at least 30 minutes.
6.If you require a 'crunchier' crunch then cook for longer as required. The finished result is of personal preference.
- Vanilla Crunch - use the same recipe and method as chocolate crunch, but omit the cocoa powder.